Child With Possible Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
My youngest child is adopted. My husband's sister is her birth mother. She is 10 yrs old and we have had her since she is 11 months. Her birth mom did drugs and drank while pregnant. She has all the symptoms for ODD. She has a very nasty attitude and no punishment works with her. She throws tantrums when she doesn't get her way. We never raised her to get her way based on that kind of behavior. Rewarding her does not work and makes her behavior worse.
I don't want to put her on medication. She is causing issues with my husband and myself. He thinks its all me and she is not the problem. He thinks I cause the problems with her. I don't know if mediations are the way to go or not. We have tried taking her to therapy but she tells them what they want to hear and seems to get worse when she is in therapy.
Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.